Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Stigmata


This one is a little off track, but it deals with something that I feel really strongly about, that is the obedient acceptance by children of dogma and religious rules and regulations. The teddy bears symbolise that innocence that is so brutally "stigmata-ed" in the psyches of children and their optimistic hope of moving towards a space devoid of pressure and prejudice. (For those of you who don't know, stigmata is the supposed bleeding of the palms of staunt Christians). I only chose the Christian religion as it is the doctrine closest to my Western way of thinking that symbolises the concept of dogma. I could just as easily have chosen a symbol from Islam or Judaism.... 50cm x 1m oil and embroidered wool on linen (Very proud of my two embroidered trees. You should have seen my fingers afterwards... :()

1 Comments:

Blogger Marty Rudoy said...

The church they do some good things but its always pray this pray that and sometimes no matter how hungry I am I don't go because I don't want them to save me or help me like they want. Leave me alone sometimes! And its not always safe for your things no matter what they say. Im the scarecrow sometimes.

8:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home