Cleaning up

In our hurly-burly world, there is no greater luxury than space. This, coupled with my strong respect for, and love of, the simplicity of "taken-for-granted" objects and how they are placed in our environment led to this painting. In this painting, I tried to encapsulate this unchaotic sense of space - something that has grown stronger in me over the years from having moved from a country with lots of room to breathe to a country where your neighbours are always staring into your window. This painting is a shot of my kitchen - a space such as I have explained - bathed in the warmth of the afternoon sun filtering through two windows directly opposite the sink. I tried to capture the atmosphere of typical European Spring lighting (a concept that is rather foreign to somebody from South Africa where the definite four seasons in one year is not a reality). I hope that the comfort and coziness comes across and fills the observer with feelings of homeliness. When I first painted this, it filled me with a sense of loneliness, but it really affects me differently now. Please feel free to leave comments if you like... 80cm x 60cm oil on linen

2 Comments:
What a wonderful blog!!!
This makes me homesick.
Post a Comment
<< Home