Friday, August 26, 2005

Invasion


Another insect painting - and my favourite. As I've mentioned, all of my insect paintings deal with some or other social condition. This painting conjures up thoughts of uninvited guests, landing and presenting themselves in all of their unwelcomed arrogance. This kind of horror scenario can very easily be found in our world. We need only look at president Bush and the infantile manner in which he insists on bombarding and entering places where he - or at least his troops - are not wanted; like a teenager addicted to a playstation game. Yes, as hard as this may sound, my insects represent the American troops under the "Bush" regime. It is, however, only inadvertantly political, as this is, for me, foremost a psycho-social issue. I do not know enough about politics to make bold statements about governmental dos and don'ts. What I do know - through my five-year psychology study - is how to spot a psychopath and how to spot when a psychopath is running a country..... 50cm x 1m oil on canvas

3 Comments:

Blogger Marty Rudoy said...

A very strong piece and an equally strong political statement. Bravo. I don't think there's enough activism on the part of artists these days (on either side of the fence).

This is decidedly my favorite among your paintings that I've seen.

The rendering of the "bubbles" with insects is top notch. I think the abstract background works - I painted a similar one last night for a new work using blues and purples.

Here's what I'm wondering about my works' background, though, and maybe you can think about whether it makes sense for you: I wonder whether the abstract, undefined background is too vague to get the point across. I don't think my background should be representational; I just think it might be more decisive and painterly, with fixed abstract shapes using the same color scheme. In other words, I'm going to try to add a bit more definition.

9:14 pm  
Blogger muzormur said...

An interesting idea, Spicuzza, although I have to say that I deal with this issue a lot at home. I often run down the stairs and show my husband my "fantastic peppermint blue background" that I adore so much that I don't want to paint anything on it. For my own paintings, I want the background to complement the focal points and not to detract from them. I feel that all of your backgrounds are wonderfully incorporated into the overall harmony or tension of the piece... I'll leave a comment or two in your blog...

9:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked this painting. I see what you are saying about people in power. This one makes me think of also the negativity that invades our lifes which we constantly work at eradicating, building our own personal strength.

1:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home