Losing Friends

This is my one and only still life. It was my discovery of oil and with each and every brushstroke I had the feeling that my long-since-dead grandmother was behind me and assisting in the process. For this reason, this painting is incredibly important to me and this constant feeling of not being alone in my painting led to a rather haunting portrayal of something as mundane as garlic. Unfortunately the background cannot be seen in this photograph. It is 15 layers of acrylic, carmine red over pthalo green, with scrubbing sessions between each layer, which resulted in a slightly blackened mottled effect. I saw it as a challenging goal to take something as "traditional" as a still life and place it in an exposed and naked context... 40cm x 40cm acrylic and oil on hardboard

5 Comments:
Nice job; I wouldn't change a thing. You might get a better photo if you take it outdoors, without flash, not in the sun. I don't know if you remember katelynalain from WC, but she has some still lifes that you might want to look at: www.katelynalain.com
Spicuzza
It does have a wild spiritual glowing spirit to it.As I didn't really know my grandmother, I recognise it's qualities as seen in the adventourous and spiritual as I have also noticed in fafi's paintings. Maybe this shows the connection between sisters, and grandson. A lovely masterpiece.
I like how the insects are trapped in the bubbles and their future is not clear.
Uh oh I wrote about invasion not this one. It is very sad your words but I can see love in the garlic seed. Chicago J. Smith
I really like this one Mur..it has a richness and depth to it that is nice to see in your first still life..keep doing 'em.
one comment..A stronger shadow-light dynamic may have emphasized the drama more...
much love
Ter
Post a Comment
<< Home